Thursday, June 25, 2009

Rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain.

Six days of nearly continuous clouds and rain.  I’ve been amusing myself by writing a Lovecraft pastiche about a rainstorm that never ends and a high tide that refuses to go out.  Our house has no heating other than fireplaces, and over the weekend it was so cold that Audry and I had to run down to Eastham for some portable heaters.  Audry bought an adorable knit wool fisherman’s cap, and now she looks ready for The Deadliest Catch!

Audry Cap

This afternoon, the sun suddenly broke through, and we went tearing off to P.J.’s, our local burger joint. This being Cape Cod, they have terrific lobster rolls and fried clams, too.

PJs sign

Now calling itself P.J.’s Seafood, I have been going here since I was a kid, when it was called P.J.’s Dari-Burger.  This is the sort of place where you went to with your older brother (always better to go with your older brother than your parents) for burgers and frappes (what they call milkshakes out here), eaten in the car with the top down and the Beach Boys on the radio.

PJ front

Last year I was appalled to see that P.J.’s had burgers with asiago cheese (!!!) on the menu, an obvious attempt to compete with the upscale restaurants which have sprouted up in Wellfleet.  This year such questionable fare was no longer on the menu – a strange and merciful side effect of the current economy, perhaps.  (Click the pic to read the menu – mmm!)

PJ menu

Right next door to P.J.’s is an ancient graveyard…

PJ Cemetary

…whose mouldering stones bespeak an unwholesome antiquity – but there I go off into Lovecraft Land again!

PJ Gravestones

Me writing this:

Davy Best

3 comments:

  1. Oh Great Muse of Burger Joints,

    What is--or was--a Dari-burger? (Why the 'dari'?)

    RC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was supposed to be a cutesy-pie spelling of "dairy," since they are also well known as a DQ-type ice cream joint.

    Whatever the meaning, it doesn't sound kosher to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This afternoon we had lunch in the cafe at the Blanton (new-ish art museum here in Austin) and I saw "asiago cheese" listed as one of the ingredients in a sandwich -- first time I've ever come across it (to my knowledge) -- reading your blog a few hours later was the second. I still don't know what it is and suspect it has not arrived on British shores yet. I seem to encounter some such previously-unheard-of foodstuff every time I travel.

    ReplyDelete