Saturday, June 13, 2009

I have a new favorite restaurant.

So Audry and I went to a church in London called St. Martins-in-the-Fields. I have been aware of this place for decades, as it is the home base of the Academy of St. Martins-in-the-Fields, my favorite chamber orchestra. (You've heard them. They played most of the music in "Amadeus.")

What I didn't know was that St. Martin's is in the heart of London, right next to Trafalgar Square. Because of its name, I had always pictured it as a pastoral church out in the English countryside somewhere. Audry pointed out that the church is so old that it probably was surrounded by verdant fields when it was first built!



Across the street is the National Gallery, Trafalgar Square, and Nelson's Column.





Ah, but inside St. Martin's lurks the best restaurant I've eaten at since we left home...inside, and underneath the church. It's called The Crypt because...well, that's what it is -- the church's former crypt.


In the Crypt you walk and dine among ancient gravestones.


And the food! Hot pork sandwiches with applesauce, pickles, and strong English mustard. Sounds hellish, tastes heavenly. Audry took this picture of her cheese-laden vegetarian dish and Victorian lemonade (real brewed lemonade, with alcoholic content):

No comments:

Post a Comment